Hi, I'm Mikey. Welcome to my web home.
I scribble thoughts on technology, leadership, and building things. I am just getting started. Here are the most recent posts.
- Your tech stack is not the product
Early stage technology decisions must be, uncomfortably, a means to an end.
- When it's time
How do you decide when it's time to leave?
- Do the low-tech thing first
One of my most reached-for values as a builder.
- Failing slowly
To be good at failing fast, look out for things that slow down failure.
- Better living through visibility
A simple, no-excuses-allowed reporting system for managers and leads.
- The CTO and VP of Engineering fork
Advice for the technology lead who decides it's time for a VP of Engineering.
Projects & Hacks
Here are some projects that I've built & wasn't too embarrassed to publish.
- esp32-ble-pinpad—Turns an ESP32 device into a virtual pin pad, using Bluetooth LE.
- FlyScoop—A mobile app for viewing your Fly.io infrastructure.
- django-spicy-id—A Django add-on for automatic "Stripe-style" string object ids (from numeric primary key columns).
- StreamLover—A classy internet radio streaming & discovery app (no link yet!).
- SkyScour—An airport index for general aviation enthusiasts.
- AirDash—A frontend for visualizing marine & aviation traffic.
- pymidi—Library for building or interacting with MIDI devices.
- Taplist.io—Simple, self-service digital menus for bars & breweries.
- Divvy—A configurable redis-based rate-limiter and quota server.
- usb-serial-for-android—Library for connecting Android devices to serial devices.
- Kegbot—The internet's original over-engineered beer dispenser.